120 free images and photos editing software alternative to Photoshop and Lightroom for your desktop are listed (below) with a link to their original website (to be sure that you will download the original photo editing app and the latest update), so if you are searching to download the best of the best free photo editor software or a picture editing application which look like Photoshop or Lightroom or not, here, you can choose between a lot of them.
All the reviewed free photos editors are cross-platform, which mean it can be for Mac OS X, Windows or Linux at the same time, even iOS and Android for some.
Here we go with a list and a review almost side by side of free photos editors and raster graphics editor to download to your desktop (or mobile phone), all are free photo editing alternative to Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
LightZone is a free photo editing software with a zoomable lighttable, called also lightbox (photos browser, photos organizer
and photos viewer) and a RAW photo processor software, which deserve to be a lot more well known. Lightzone has everything you need to retouch and edit your photos. All the
editing tools are also able to work locally in the picture.
For Windows, Mac OSX and Linux...
Gimp Means GNU Image Manipulation Program and it might be the most well known free photo processor and editor, image converter
and retouching. GIMP is not aimed to beginners, and it is as complex as Photoshop and often compared to it for image composition and image authoring.
For Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, Gimp is a lot...
Darktable is very similar to Lightroom with almost the same layout. Darktable ergonomics is also very similar to Lightroom. Darktable can manage your folders, pictures and digital negatives in a database with keywords and rating and has advanced photos culling functions.
Based on the Unix system this Raw processor is for Mac OS Xand many Linux distribution, FreeBSD as well as...
RawTherapee is, may be, the most well known "Lightroom like" and "competitor", if i can say that, which in my humble opinion do not deserve this popularity, but it's my personal taste and i think that LightZone or Darktable can do the same job in an easier way and with a better ergonomic. Do not get me wrong, this RAW photo editor is a very ...
Fotor is made for Mac OSX , Windows , iPhone and Android (scroll down on their website to find the link for your phone or tablet) is aimed at the beginner and advanced photographer editor. it is a very simple RAW converter, it is fast and has plenty of effects, it have a well developed "tilt shift" function, many kind of frames and borders, you can write and and do collage too...
Pixelitor surprised me by it's simplicity, and a very easy to use photo editor with a lightweight Photoshop look, but very well featured with useful photo editing tools.
It work in a Java environment, mean it work on many different operating system. For Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and BSD. It is a very efficient free photos editor for desktop.
Pixlr Desktop : It does convert RAW image. At first i was not sure because of the need to register and open an account (even if it's free), after a second thought and so after to register and install it, i was very surprised how nice this free editing photos and raw processor software was in fact. For Windows and Mac OS X. You got all the basics to edit a picture, even a double exposure possibilities ...
XnViewMP and me, it's something like 15 years that i know this one may be the best free photos and images organizer and viewer, and it does many other things very useful for everyday use.
XnView can rename recursively folders of pictures or an entire album by batch processing and...
On1 Perfect Effects 9 Free : is now replaced by On1 Effects 10 Free. The differences between the v9 and the v10 are mainly on the right side of the user interface, but basically, the 2 versions are quite the same for the user experience.
Because it use layers, brush, mask, blending mode, and...
Hugin Panorama Photo Stitcher is for Mac OSX and Windows. I didn't really use or test it because i didn't have many pictures to stitch together, i just throw few pictures which have nothing to do together just to see the interface and how it handle the pictures. Interesting interface, it took a bit of time to...
Those 2 scientific image processing and image analysis / image editor are not aimed at the beginners ... at all !
Let's re-phrase it : beginners you have no idea where you might get in. Fiji is fully featured with...
Rawker is for Mac OSX. It's a free photo editing software, which has a very simple but effective user interface, and it has batch processing abilities.
A powerful editing software with a nice and very simple GUI where you can quickly adjust your RAW photos and convert them in JPEG or...
Skitch is for Mac OS X and Windows, I wanted to finish the "reviews" by this little image editor which is not an image editor but something you might fall in love when you want to very quickly draw annotation, indication, markup tool, underline something, do a screenshot, drag'n drop a picture or whatever will do for this famous sentence:
"A Picture is worth thousands words".
IJFR Instant JPEG from RAW for Mac OS X and Windows. This little software doesn't do a lot, but what it does, it does it extremely well!
This little application work with the right click on the mouse when you put your mouse on the top of a RAW file or a full folder of RAW photos, it extract the JPEG embedded in it (right click on a RAW picture > JPG).
XnRetro : For Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android is an Instagram alike for photo effects.
It features 20 color effects, 15 light effects such as bokeh and leak, 28 frame borders. XnRetro has adjustment like the contrast, gamma, saturation, vignetting, noise, where each feature or effect can...
Phantasmagoria : Run under Java, so it can run on Windows, Mac OSX , Linux and everywhere java is installed. It is a very simple photo editor to go straightforward on your photo editing.
i recommend to go first in the "Tools / options" to uncheck "Autoscale when opening" to be able to save and work on your full sized picture.
SharpShot for Mac OS, Windows, Linux and BSD, it use Java (which you should have already installed by default on your computer like almost every computer). To launch this photo editing program, click on "launchSharpShot.command", once Sharpshot is open, you can work directly ...
Polarr is a very well tooled photo editor and RAW processor. The free version might miss the local brush adjustment but you can already do a great job with the free editing tools. For Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android and iOS, this little piece of freeware is already fully featured with pro level photo editing tools...
There is a lot more free photos editors or images retouching software out there, but they often are not made for multiple operating system like Mac OS and windows or GNU/Linux at the same time or i am still testing them for the review.
I put a list bellow, you just have to click on their name to visit their respective website.
27) HDRtist Free : Mac OS X.
28) Visions : Windows (DAM, manage your photos in 3D, image viewing gallery).
29) PhotoFiltre Windows.
30) Paint.net Windows.
31) PhotoPlus Windows.
32) Photo Pos Pro Windows (or here).
33) PixBuilder Studio Windows.
34) FastStone Windows.
35) PhoXo Windows.
36) IrfanView Windows.
37) InPixio SuperPhoto Free Windows.
38) Magix photo designer 7 Windows.
39) Funny Photo Maker Windows.
40) Chasys Draw IES Windows.
41) Photo Plus Starter Edition Windows.
42) PT Photo Editor Free : Windows.
43) Krita : GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Windows (drawing and painting).
44) Medibang Paint : Mac OS X and Windows, iPad and Android.
45) FireAlpaca : Mac OSX, Windows.
46) Inkscape : GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Windows.
47) Blender : Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Windows.
Picasa : Mac OSX, Windows.
49) LightBox 2 : Windows (scroll down to get the free V2).
50) Artweaver : Painting and drawing (free for non commercial and education).
51) Imagina : Free Photo Editor.
52) Hornil Stylepix : The lite version is free but seems very already very powerful.
53) ImLab: Windows, Mac OSX, Linux.
54) nps Image Editor : Windows.
55) Photodemon : Windows portable USB too.
56) Photobie : Windows.
57) Photormin : Windows.
58) Pixia : Windows.
59) Vintager : Windows, simple but extremely nice.
60) Preview : Mac OS X, a way under-estimated photos, image and PDF processor.
61) Shape Collage: Mac OS X, Windows, Linux collage at any shape, written shape.
62) Simple viewer Gallery for your website.
63) Pics Art Windows, iOS Android, collage special effect editor.
64) Picture Collage Maker Free.
65) Poladroid Polaroid effects.
66) Image Analizer Windows.
67) PaintStar Windows.
68) Photopus Windows.
69) PC Image Editor Windows.
70) vvvP Multi platform images viewer and organiser.
71) photospills All Windows for collage photo.
72) PixelStyle Photo Editor No more free, it's even becoming a very bad joke now!!
73) Paintbrush For Mac OS X or here.
74) Daz 3D 3D software easy and powerful.
75) HeliosPaint Mac OS X, Windows and Linux/Unix.
76) Image Tricks Mac OS X, photo filters and effects, the lite version is FREE.
77) ArtRage 2 Windows and Mac, super paint and draw app, version 2 is free.
78) Compositor Mac filters and channel effects.
79) FotoSketcher Windows, artistic effects.
80) TwistedBrush Open Studio Windows artistic effects, brushes and paint.
81) KolourPaint Linux-Unix/KDE image editor paint software.
82) ExifRenamer Mac Change many things in the photo exif.
83) GeoTagger Mac, to geotag your photos with google earth.
84) GPSPhotoLinker Mac, add GPS and data to your photos.
85) ImageMagick Mac, Linux-Unix, Windows and IOS.
86) iMagine Photo Mac, Works with AppleScript.
87) iResize Mac OS X batch resize, compress and save photo.
88) Keyword Manager Mac OS X, assign keywords to your photos.
89) PhotoInfoEditor Mac OS X, Edit metadata in the photo.
90) PhotoGPSEditor Mac OS X, Edit GPS info on a Map.
91) PhotoStikies ThumbsUp Mac OS X.
92) Rita Mac OS X, Drawing and paint non restricted shareware.
93) Scaletron Mac OS X, calculator for rescaling, upscale downscale images.
94) ToyViewer Mac OS X.
95) Xee Mac image viewer.
96) PictBear Windows.
97) RealWorld Graphics Windows, Photo editor, paint, draw + vector program +...
98) LazPaint Windows, Mac OS X and Linux: Paint and graphic stand alone editor.
99) GrafX2 Mac OS X, Windows, Amiga, etc ... Pixel Art, Bitmap paint program.
100) Pencil2D Mac OS X, Windows and Linux, paint program, look nice (scroll down).
101) Acorn For Free Mac OS X (click on the nut to download it).
102) DigiKam Mac OS X, Windows, Linux and FreeBSD Photos management and Edit.
103) Imgv Windows, Need to be a nerd to install on the other OS, it's an Image viewer.
104) SketchBook Free Windows, Mac OS X Paint program.
105) PhotoPad no more free, now it's just 30 days trial.
106) DrawPad Graphic Designer Windows, Mac OS X.
107) Sculptris Mac OS X, Windows digital art and 3D.
108) Wildbit image viewer for windows.
109) Nomacs Image Lounge Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD, OS2 and so. Image viewer.
110) Zoner Photo Studio Windows, Viewer and basic photo edit.
111) MyPaint Windows, Mac OS X(via MacPort) and Linux, paint software.
112) Registax Windows, astronomy photo.
113) DeepSkyStacker Windows, image Stacking freeware.
114) StarTrails Windows, image stacking and astronomy photo freeware.
115) Nik Collection : Mac Os X and Windows, Google Nik are now free.
116) DrawPlus SE Realistic Vector draw software.
117) PagePlus SE Design and publishing software. (see #41 too).
118) PanoramaPlus SE stitching software.
119) Craftartist Compact Digital crafting.
120) PC image Editor Windows free image editor.
121) FreeVimager Windows image viewer, editor and organiser.
122) Algodoo Vector draw and animated physics freeware.
123) Vpaint Vector paint software.
124) DrawBerry Vector graphic software.
125) sk1 Vector graphic and press software.
126) Alchemy Vector graphic software.
That's all for today, but be sure i will update this page with interesting free photo editing software and more.
Do not hesitate to left a comment or if you know/use some nice free picture editors write it below!
And for the last question, you want to know which of all those free alternative to Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom i prefer ?
There is few like Darktable, LightZone, Pixlr, PhotoScape, Fotor and lately the new Polarr, which i truly appreciate for whatever reason each of them has.
But they are meant for different kind of work, different level of post processing, different way of editing an image, and if i should keep one and only one, i am thinking about ...
- Do I should keep just one? Are you sure?! because i don't want to keep just one ...
Seriously, try them all, because after all they are free, and if you want to choose only one, it will be your own choice.
If you like this page let me know it in a comment below and don't forget to share it now.
Thank you for your support.